I mentioned on a previous post that we adore Krazy Garlik particularly their Krazy Garlik Salad. It was so good that my carnivore-of-a-husband liked it so much, he decided to recreate it.With a few online research done and fingers crossed, we decided to make the scrumptious Asian style salad.
Here are the ingredients:
- Chicken strips
- Red cabbage (but we used the regular, green one)
- Cucumber, diced
- Bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion (preferably white, but we had the red ones when we made the dish)
- Sesame oil
- Peanut sauce (fresh or store bought)
- Juice of 1 lemon (or lime)
- Wanton wrapper
- Salt and pepper
To make it:
- Cut the cabbage, onions and lettuce in julienne style. Set it aside with the diced bell peppers and cucumber.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. You can either grill it or fry it. We fried ours because we did not have a stove-top grill…yet. hehe. Set aside.
- For the dressing, mix the peanut sauce with water (as instructed in the package). Let it cool for a couple of minutes, then mix it well with sesame oil and lime. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Julienne the wanton wrappers and fry it in hot oil. Strain the excess oil after removing from the pan.
- Mix all the veggies together. Toss them with the dressing until they look nice and happy.
- Top with the crunchy wanton wrappers.
- Serve and enjoy!
The verdict: 4.5 stars!!! It was really good and it did taste almost like the one in Krazy Garlik. It was light and very Asian. The crunchy wanton wrappers gave a totally different texture and attitude to a possible boring salad. It would be great as a side dish to steamed fish or fried meat. Ours was partnered with a breaded pork chop.
The reasons why it did not receive the 5-star mark are: 1. We did not grill the chicken; 2. Red onions were used, instead of white; 3. Lemon juice was used, not lime; 4. Green cabbage was used, instead of red. The red cabbage’s bitterness was a welcome kick to the original salad recipe.
Mission: Complete and successful!