It’s been a while since I last posted about my cooking ventures (or adventures). I admit, I have been a little busy to cook something new or even to cook at all. Hubby gets home earlier than I do so he does the cooking most of the time. Today I cooked two recipes that I have been wanting to try.
Since I am on the “healthy-lifestyle” mode today, I cooked fish with tausi and some sauteed spinach as side.
Here are the ingredients for Fish with Tausi that I got from overseaspinoycooking.net.:
1 kilo fish fillet, cut into serving pieces (I used cream dory)
4 cakes tokwa, tofu, cut into serving pieces
1/2 cup oyster sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 head garlic, finely chopped
2 medium size onion, chopped
2 pieces red and green bell pepper, cut into wedges
1 small can tausi, salted beans, drained and rinsed (I only had tausi sauce)
1 small size carrot, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced crosswise
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper
Unfortunately, I did not have the bell peppers, carrots and celery. Sayang, my dish would’ve looked nicer. Anyhoo, here’s how to cook it.
- Lightly season the fish with salt and pepper. Coat with flour and then fry. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, fry the tofu until golden brown. I like to keep the inner part of the tofu soft and creamy, but brown and crunchy on the outside. Set aside.
- Saute garlic and onion. Add the tausi sauce and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 1 to 1/2 cup of water. Simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the vegetables, sugar, hoisin and oyster sauce, cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Thicken the sauce by adding cornstarch diluted in water. Simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Put in the fish and tofu and mix well until the sauce covers the proteins.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
To compensate with the lack of veggies, I partnered it with a simple sauteed spinach that I got from Ina Garten, one of my favorite cook and author. Here are the ingredients:
- 1 1/2 pounds baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic (6 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Here are the directions (I made some slight changes here):
Rinse the spinach well in cold water to make sure it’s very clean. Shake off any excess water from the spinach. In a pot, heat the olive oil and butter and saute the garlic about 1 minute, but not until it’s browned. Add all the spinach, the salt, and pepper to the pot, toss it with the garlic and oil, cover the pot, and cook it for 2 minutes. Uncover the pot, turn the heat on high, and cook the spinach for another minute, stirring until all the spinach is wilted. Lift the spinach to a serving bowl and squeeze a lemon. Serve hot.
Tadaaaaa!My mom and sister were there to taste it. My mom (yes, my mom!) loves it and my sister had several additional spoonfuls of rice with it. hehe. I have to say, the dishes were yummy! Next time, I’ll cook the fish with tausi with complete ingredients. hehe.