I am still in my healthy eating zone so I’m sharing with you one of our favorites. I got the recipe from 100+ Fast and Easy Recipe by Good Housekeeping. I changed it up a bit This is the perfect soup for a cold, rainy day or when someone’s sick. It’s just as good as any chicken soup.
- Chopped bacon
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup quick melting cheese, grated
- 1 cup sweet corn and cubed carrots
- 1 broccoli, broken into small florets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute bacon to render out fat. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onions for about two minutes until it looks translucent.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook for about three minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock (I diluted 1 chicken bouillon cube with 4 cups of hot water) and whisk until well blended.
- Add potatoes and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Remove 1 cup of cooked potatoes then mash. Return to pot and stir well .
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Add broccoli and cook until tender.
- Add corn and carrots and cook for two more minutes.
- Top with bacon and croutons and serve hot.
Healthy, simple and really yummy!