I have always been prone to Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). At an early age of six, I was already admitted to the hospital for it. It has been recurring since during my late 20’s. My OB-Gyne told me that cranberry juice has been proven to help prevent UTI. Ever since, it has been a staple in our ref.
Cranberry juice is very sour. It’s not like the tangy-sourness of orange or grape. It is really tangy and reallysour. I would dilute it with ice or lime soda. I found one with apple juice and it is a little less sour than the pure juice. I’d say one must have an acquired taste for it. That is why I was surprised when The Little Jedi asked for some while I was drinking a glass, and asked for seconds.
Doc Vienne approves of cranberry juice too. She said it’s a very good source of Vitamin C apart from the health benefits for the kidneys.
Here are the other health benefits of cranberry juice:
- Helps prevent UTI. Cranberry juice produces hippuric acid in the urine that prevent bacteria from sticking to the bladder walls. It also helps prevent formation of kidney stones.
- Produces antioxidants. These antioxidants help a person have a healthy cardiovascular system. It also helps produce good cholesterol and reduce bad (DLD) cholesterol. These antioxidants also helps prevent cancer.
- Helps prevent tooth decay. Recent studies show that cranberry juice prevents tooth cavities. The chemical contained in the juice, blocks the bacteria from sticking to the teeth.
- Helps cure colds. Cranberry juice help fight infections. It is also a good source of calcium so it also helps make the teeth and the bones stronger. Regular drinking will help prevent osteoporosis.
- Helps prevent stomach ulcer and cancer. Contrary to the myth that sour food will aggravate ulcer, cranberry juice destroys the bacteria that causes stomach ulcer and help prevent cancer.
Old Orchard Healthy Balance is available in most supermarkets. The pure cranberry is unsweetened, ergo, sour but apple-cranberry is less so. I only see Florida’s Nature cranberry juice in Starbucks. It is sweetened so it is also not as sour.