Malunggay or Moringa is a common tree here in the Philippines. It’s usually cooked in soups. In the household where I grew up, Ginisang Monggo (mung beans) will not be the same without malunggay. Recently, more and more malunggay products are seen in the market: malunggay powder, malunggay noodles, malunggay bread, malunggay ice cream even! Recent research have shown high nutritional value in malunggay leaves. It is a significant source of B vitamins, vitamin C, provitamin A as beta-carotene, vitamin K, manganese and protein, among other essential nutrients.
Here’s another quick, yummy and healthy malunggay dish for you.
2 cups malunggay leaves, washed
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced onions
1 cup milk
4 cups water
1 chicken boullion cube
1 onion chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sweat the onions in oil and butter until translucent.
2. Add carrots and potatoes. Cook for about a minute.
3. Add water and chicken cube. Let it boil.
4. Add the malunggay leaves. Cook fot about 5 minutes until all veggies and done.
5. Turn off the heat. With a hand blender, blend everything until smooth or until it reaches the texture you prefer. You can also use a kitchen blender. Just ladel the soup carefully in it.
6. Bring the soup back to the heat and season with salt and pepper. Add the milk.
7. Serve with a toast!
It’s a healthy dish perfect for the rainy days! For nursing moms, I think you will like this soup. 🙂